Three-Fish Etouffée with Baby Artichokes and Spicy Tomato Broth
If you’re looking for a quick, hearty, and healthy recipe, look no further than this three-fish etouffée with baby artichokes and spicy tomato broth. Etouffée is a classic and flavorful stew typically found in Cajun and Creole cuisines. Add artichokes as a flavorful vegetable option that are packed with antioxidants and fiber. Choose a healthy protein option like fish that contain omega-3 fatty acids and plenty of vitamins. Don’t forget to add garlic, peppers, and parsley for added nutritional benefits and plenty of flavor. Bon appetite!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ⅓ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup ½-inch diced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup red wine or water
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium fish, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 9 ounces fresh artichoke hearts, quartered or 1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and cut in quarters lengthwise
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced (about 1 cup)
- 24 ounces (1½ pounds) assorted boneless fish fillets (such as salmon, mackerel, tuna), cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, without stems
- 1½ tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a 4-Quart large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook until tender. Add garlic, tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes if using; simmer 1 minute longer. Add wine or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add artichoke hearts, bay leaf, and mushrooms and simmer for 2 minutes. Add fish; cook, stirring gently, until just opaque, about 4 minutes. Stir in parsley and lemon peel. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
As originally published in Dr. Perricone’s The Perricone Weight-Loss Diet book