The Skinny on Staying Thin: Glutamine and Other Weight Loss Supplements
As you age, losing weight can be one of the most difficult things to deal with…but it doesn’t have to be that way.
Forget about those fad diets, throw out the ridiculous diet pills filled with a slew of ingredients, and instead focus on following an anti-inflammatory diet supplemented with nutrients that are known to enhance the appearance of both body and skin.
Following an Anti-Inflammatory Diet
By now, you probably know all the ins and outs of following an anti-inflammatory diet. But just to refresh your memory, it should consist of eating:
- Healthy fats
- Low-glycemic carbohydrates
- High-quality protein
- Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables
Not only will you start to notice visible results in your body, but also your skin.
Supplement Your Weight Loss Efforts
Of course, targeted nutritional supplements formulated to aid in weight loss can help you drop those few extra pounds and keep your weight in check.
Nutrients ranging from glutamine to alpha lipoic acid (ALA) to chromium can help enhance the loss of body fat, regulate your blood sugar and insulin levels, and promote healthy, youthful-looking skin.
The Importance of Glutamine
Glutamine is one of the most abundant amino acids—the building blocks of protein—within the genetic code. While you’re able to synthesize it, the majority of glutamine your body needs is manufactured in muscle cells to help keep the muscles working properly. However, under stressful conditions like intense workouts or physical injury, this amino acid is used up very quickly. The result? A demand for glutamine that’s higher than what your body can produce.
The good news is that a significant amount of glutamine can be obtained through a range of foods, including:
- Meat, fish, and poultry
- Lettuce, spinach, parsley, and cabbage
- Milk, cheese, yogurt
So now the question becomes this—why do we need glutamine to get and stay skinny?
Glutamine and Weight Loss
To put it in the simplest of ways, glutamine can help keep weight off by reducing your food cravings and giving your body more energy.
When you’re overweight, your body needs even more glutamine than normal; if you don’t have enough in your system, the body breaks down muscle tissue to get the extra amino acid. When that happens, you start to lose muscle mass.
By having enough glutamine in your system, you’re better able to lose weight while maintaining muscle mass. Adding glutamine to your diet will also help you stay on track with your anti-inflammatory diet plan and help reduce cravings for high-glycemic carbohydrates.
Weight Loss Supplements
Of course, there are other nutrients out there that can help aid in the loss of body fat while keeping your skin looking healthy and youthful. Some of these include:
- Alpha lipoic acid (ALA): This potent antioxidant changes food into energy, also helping to fight the visible signs of aging by decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE): A nutritional substance that’s essential in the communication from one nerve to another, DMAE is most commonly found in fish. Aside from the physical benefits it can offer (including increase skin firmness and muscle tone), it may also improve memory and problem-solving abilities.
- Carnitine: This nutrient is critical for an active metabolism, responsible for transporting fatty acids from the blood into the cell for energy production. In order for carnitine to work correctly, fatty acids need to be present within your diet.
- Omega 3: This essential fatty acid is available as a supplement and offers many health benefits, including supporting cardiovascular health.
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA): A fatty acid that helps decrease body fat—especially in the abdomen area—is found in many sources, including eggs, lamb, red meat, and some mushrooms.
Now, that may sound all well and good, but we’re sure you’re probably wondering if there’s a simple way to make sure you’re getting a proper supply of these nutrients. Our Health & Weight Management Supplements contains six of the ten weight-loss nutrients suggested by Dr. Perricone, and is designed to help support a healthy plan to lose and maintain weight by boosting your metabolism and decreasing body fat while increasing your energy levels.
Of course, at the end of the day it once again comes down to the cornerstone of our Three-Tiered Solution—an anti-inflammatory diet. Sure, you’re probably sick of hearing about it by now, but trust us when we say that your weight, energy, and skin will thank you for it.
Shop This Post