Commit to Heart Health with this Do-It-Yourself Cereal Recipe
Need some help making your commitment to heart health this month a little easier? We’ve got you covered with a slew of heart-benefiting recipes coming your way over the next few weeks.
Get your morning started off on the right foot (and help keep your cholesterol under control) with this easy do-it-yourself cereal recipe.
4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup oat bran
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup low-fat soy flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Combine all ingredients and store in the freezer in an airtight container.
- When ready to make, bring ¾ cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in ½ cup of cereal, mix, and turn heat to low.
- Simmer for 1 minute, cover, and remove from heat.
- Allow to stand for 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with fresh berries, if desired.
In a hurry? Just combine the cereal and water in a deep bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.