Top 10 Supplements for Healthy, Beautiful Aging & Living
Even if you’re eating all the right foods, there may still be some key nutrients you’re missing for more beautiful living from the inside out. That’s why we’re sharing our top 10 supplement picks to add to your diet for serious health and aging benefits.
Read on to learn more about their benefits, and for tips on the best sources of each one.
1. Omega 3
Providing a multitude of health benefits while also helping to improve the visible health of skin, omega 3 supplements are well known for helping to elevate mood, support healthy weight loss and maintain cardiovascular health. They’ve also been shown to help:
- Accelerate the loss of body fat
- Reduce inflammation in all organ systems
- Improve attention span
- Stabilize blood sugar levels
- Lower insulin levels
- Create and maintain healthy serotonin levels
- Stop the roller coaster effects of the carbohydrate highs and lows
- Decrease appetite
- Increase skin’s visible radiance
- Increase immune system health
- Increase energy levels
- Decrease symptoms and severity of rheumatoid arthritis
- Reduces symptoms and severity of chronic skin conditions (such as eczema)
- Decrease cardiovascular risk
Dr. Perricone recommends omega 3 supplements derived from wild Alaskan salmon, a fish oil that’s the purest and most powerful resource of both omega 3 and DMAE.
You can find omega 3 in Omega 3 Supplements, Skin & Total Body Supplements and The Metabolic Support Supplements, while enjoying foods like cold water fish, raw nuts, extra virgin olive and coconut oils, flax and chia seeds.
Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is a superior anti-inflammatory that’s able to penetrate all portions of the cell. How? It’s both fat and water soluble.
In the metabolic cycle, ALA acts as a coenzyme in the production of energy by converting carbohydrates into energy (ATP). It’s the only antioxidant that can help boost cellular levels of glutathione, the body’s most important antioxidant to overall health and longevity. On top of that, it’s also able to help increase the body’s ability to take glucose into the cells which can ultimately result in decreased blood sugar levels and accelerated weight loss.
You can find ALA in Skin & Total Body Supplements, Health & Weight Management Supplements and The Metabolic Support Supplements.
The most potent of all the carotenoids—in fact, 10 times stronger than beta carotene and 100 times stronger than Vitamin E—astaxanthin is an exceptional anti-inflammatory. Its ability to protect muscles and help increase physical endurance is a key asset for anyone needing to start and maintain a regular exercise program, and can also help protect the brain, central nervous system and the eye.
Astaxanthin also helps:
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles by internal supplementation
- Reduce hyperpigmentation (aka age spots)
- Provide cytokine regulation
- Improve gastric health
Found in Skin & Total Body Supplements, you can also enjoy it in foods like wild Alaskan salmon, lobster, rainbow trout, shrimp, crawfish, crab and red caviar.
Carnitine is a water-soluble nutrient that allows us to convert fat into energy and is critical for energy formation, as well as an active metabolism; along with its derivative, acetyl L-carnitine, these are the two most important nutrients for weight loss. But for carnitine to have optimum effect, there must be enough essential fatty acids (such as omega 3s) present in the diet.
Small amounts of carnitine can be obtained through certain meat and dairy products, but to get a truly adequate supply requires adding carnitine supplements to your diet.
Its ability to help enhance energy production within the cell (which is needed for cellular repair) provides anti-aging benefits, while studies have also shown that carnitine can help prevent muscle loss during illness and prevent muscle loss associated with aging. It’s protective of liver function and helps enhance the immune system, especially under stressful conditions.
A few tips:
- Do not take carnitine in the evening as it may interfere with sleep
- Take with or without food
- Take with omega 3 fish oil for better utilization of fat energy
Carnitine is found in Health & Weight Management Supplements, The Metabolic Support Supplements, grass-fed beef and dairy.
5. Acetyl L-Carnitine
Like carnitine, acetyl-L carnitine helps improve mitochondrial function but—because it can pass through the mitochondrial membrane—to an even greater degree. It also functions best when there is an adequate intake of omega-3 essential fatty acids within your diet.
Because they act as natural anti-inflammatories, both forms of carnitine are important in any weight loss regimen and aid in the transportation of fats into the mitochondria to be burned. They also help enhance the sensitivity of insulin receptors, helping to decrease blood sugar and circulate levels of insulin. Why is this important? Well, as you’ve likely learned by now, high levels of insulin are inflammatory and essentially “lock” or body fat in place.
Some tips to keep in mind:
- Carnitine and acetyl-L carnitine should not be used by people with bipolar disorder or those who are susceptible to seizures unless recommended by their physician
- Do not take acetyl-L carnitine after 3pm to prevent difficulties with sleeping
- Exercise naturally increases our levels of acetyl-L carnitine, but if we’re obese, over 30 years old or have other health problems, it will not raise them to therapeutic levels; therefore, supplementation is necessary
- Acetyl-L carnitine may be taken with or without food
- For better utilization of fat for energy, take omega 3 fish oil with carnitine
You can find acetyl-L carnitine in Health & Weight Management Supplements and The Metabolic Support Supplements.
CLA is a fatty acid found in many of the foods we eat. A powerful aid in the prevention and treatment of obesity, CLA can help decrease body fat—especially in the abdomen area—when taken in effective doses.
In addition to the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and insulin-sensitizing actions of CLA, studies also show that it can help prevent muscle loss and weakness associated with aging and disease. This is one of the key reasons CLA has long been a favorite supplement of both athletes and body builders.
You can find CLA in Health & Weight Management Supplements and The Metabolic Support Supplements, as well as in grass-fed meats and dairy. Oh, and try combining with sesame seeds to help enhance the effects of CLA even more.
Coenzyme Q10 is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory with many benefits for helping treat and prevent obesity. Acting similarly to acetyl-L carnitine, it assists in energy production within the mitochondria.
You see, energy production declines as cells age, meaning that a cell’s ability to repair itself also declines. Working synergistically with acetyl-L carnitine, carnitine and ALA in the mitochondria, CoQ10 enhances the metabolism to give us greater energy and endurance. On top of that, it gives us a greater ability to loser body fat while also helping to prevent the energy decline seen in aging cells.
CoQ10 also works synergistically with other antioxidants to elevate cellular levels of vitamins C, E and glutathione, and to help regular blood sugar and enhance insulin sensitivity, while maximizing the burning of foods for fuel to help normalize fats in our blood.
Some tips to keep in mind:
- Since tissue levels of CoQ10 decrease as we get older, anyone over 40 should take this supplement
- CoQ10 supplementation is of particular importance for women because they tend to have lower levels than their male counterparts
CoQ10 is best taken with food, and can be found in Health & Weight Management Supplements and The Metabolic Support Supplements (small amounts can also be found in fish such as sardines or salmon, as well as nuts).
Chromium is a critical nutrient in our effort to control and reduce excess body fat, essential for normal sugar and fat metabolism. It’s also important for energy production and play a key role in regulating appetite, reducing sugar cravings and lowering body fat. By supplementing our diets with chromium, we can effectively lower blood sugar and insulin levels—the key to the anti-inflammatory weight loss diet.
A few tips to keep in mind:
- Chromium absorption becomes more difficult when milk and phosphorus-heavy foods are eaten at the same time
- Don’t take chromium with foods rich in phytic acid (e.g. unleavened bread, raw beans, seeds, nuts, grains and soy isolates) as this may decrease absorption
Found in Health & Weight Management Supplements, Skin & Total Body Supplements and The Metabolic Support Supplements, we recommend the Chromium Polynicotinate type of this supplement.
9. Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA)
GLA is an important omega-6 essential fatty acid which can increase the metabolic rate, ultimately causing the body to burn fat and result in weight loss. The average American diet causes a deficiency of GLA because of the large amounts of trans fatty acids, sugar, grain-fed red meats and dairy products that are consumed.
GLA also improves cell sensitivity to insulin, helping to reduce our chances of developing diabetes, heart disease and excess body fat. As with many other supplements, take GLA with your meals to increase its absorption.
Since GLA is difficult to find in the diet (although borage oil is the richest supplemental source), it’s best to take this in supplement form with Health & Weight Management Supplements or The Metabolic Support Supplements.
Last but certainly not least, DMAE is a naturally-occurring nutritional substance with powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It’s important in the production of neurotransmitters—especially acetylcholine—which is essential in the communication from one nerve to another and between nerves and muscles. DMAE also has membrane-stabilizing effects and can also help reduce body fat, most likely from its activity as a precursor to acetylcholine as well as its anti-inflammatory activity.
Long story short, taking DMAE as a supplement will not only improve your cognitive function, but will also help increase skin’s visible firmness and muscle tone.
A few things to consider:
• For optimum beauty benefits, apply topical skincare containing DMAE to your face, neck and body
• It’s believed that DMAE can make epilepsy and bipolar depression worse; thus, it’s advised that those with these health problems avoid it
• DMAE can also be over-stimulating for some people and potentially cause muscle tension or insomnia, so individuals experiencing such difficulties are advised to discontinue use of DMAE
• Take with meals for optimum effect
You can find DMAE in cold water fish, as well as Health & Weight Management Supplements, Skin & Total Body Supplements and The Metabolic Formula Supplements.
Of course, always check with your primary physician before adding any supplements to your diet.
Shop This Post